Friday, September 10, 2010

Space Hulk, Odds 'n Ends

OH NOES TYRANIDS!!!

...just about every spare minute I've had this week has gone towards working on painting the models from my copy of Space Hulk. This was also the first time I worked with black-primed minis - thankfully, it worked fantastic for the 'nids. The black undercoat provides a perfect effect when used with thin coats of Game Color Imperial Blue and the purple mix, which is 50/50 GW Levithan Purple & Hormagaunt Purple. The 'nids served as a nice warm-up, since I haven't painted in quite a while - once the base coat is down, it's mostly just a few washes & some drybrushing until I can call these done.

In other news, I had to make some room on my painting table:


Yep, I finally got an airbrush booth. I've been wanting one of these forever, and when I first started looking at them, pretty much your only option was to drop $500+ on a stamped-steel booth with an industrial fan that took pricey filters. A little while ago I saw that Paasche came out with a compact plastic airbrush booth that was much, much cheaper - I came close to pulling the trigger on one of those, then I found that TCP Global came out with a spray booth that was billed as "the least expensive hobby spray booth on the market". The main differences I saw where that it didn't look quite as sturdy as the Paasche booth, and it didn't have the rotating turntable. I wasn't terribly concerned about the first problem, since it was destined to live a gentle life in my studio, and I solved the second problem by buying a $5 "lazy susan" tray. I've already used it a bit for priming:

Needless to say, I'm really pleased with the results - I am tremendously picky about having perfect conditions to use spray primer, so I usually wind up having a whole box of models waiting to be primed, and I have to spend an entire afternoon playing catch-up when the conditions are right. Now I can just grab a particular model or two that I want to paint next, spray it in the booth, and get to work. The only problem I've had so far is that I bought a few bottles of Vallejo Model Air primer, which is gray - kind of hard to see on gray plastic, so I got a few runs on my first attempts. I've got some of Reaper's white primer on the way, and will give that a try next...

(NOTE: neither the Paasche or the TCP Global airbrush booths should EVER be used with anything flammable. They both use standard fans, as opposed to fans with brushless induction motors, which are specifically designed to not generate sparks (that's why the industrial-grade booths are much more expensive). This isn't an issue for me, since I only use water-based acrylics & water-based airbrush cleaner).

No comments:

Post a Comment