Wednesday, March 16, 2011

So... many... orks...

Made a LOT of progress on my Orks the other day:


See, I work odd shifts, but usually I flip my schedule around on the weekends so I can hang out with the wife (I know, I know, that's exactly what they tell you not to do).  But actually, it works pretty well for me - I just take a nap for a few hours before going to work on Monday evening, and all is good.  Well, I knew I was going to have to be out later than usual on Tuesday morning, so I stayed up all night - and painted for seven hours straight.  The pic doesn't look like a lot of progress for seven hours, you say?  Well, here's the deal: I took all the Ork Boyz & Nobz that I currently had built (around 50 of them) and decided to mount them on my Freeboota Bases.  The problem was, since the bases are already painted, I didn't want to mount them and risk getting paint on the finished bases - so, I had to prime the Orks, paint their boots, then mount them to the bases. The other problem was that since it was 35 degrees and raining I couldn't use spray primer, and since it was the middle of the night and my wife was sleeping, I couldn't run the airbrush compressor - so that meant brush priming.  When I prime by brush I'm terribly paranoid about putting it on too thick, so I usually do two or three thin coats - and, since these models weren't on bases, I could only prime one side at a time.  So, the priming, boot painting & mounting probably took 4-1/2 or 5 hours by itself.  The only other real work I managed was getting all of the skin basecoated, but that's the lion's share of it for Orks.  I picked out three of these models that I needed to complete a unit of Boyz that I've already finished, and I am currently deciding what to do with the rest - originally I was planning to give each unit a different color scheme - some units with striped pants (a la vintage Hollywood pirate movies), some with freehand work across the unit, etc., but I have to admit that I'm considering just cranking them all out in a single color scheme for simplicity's sake.  Or, I might do the Nobz with a little more variation, since I'm only going to be running them five to a unit...

4 comments:

  1. Nice work, especially considering the hurdles you had to cross, you made good progress. I’m damnably slow at painting and never seem to have much to show for a good painting session.

    Go for the stripy pants, all Bootaz iz Pirutz :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a very productive night. I like those bases.

    You could always paint them all the same and then add the squad details like the stripes and freehand later on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bix - yeah, I think I'm gonna have to go with the striped pants. It's just too silly and fun not to do.

    Chaosheade - That's exactly the same conclusion I came to - I'm going to assembly-line paint everything but the pants & details, then divide them up into squads. Since all the models have different degrees of "piratey" bits, that way I can ensure each squad has a good mix. Then, I'll color-code each unit with matching stripes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds awesome. Can't wait to see them finished.

    ReplyDelete