Monday, May 9, 2011

The Nob Squad

Got the first unit of Freeboota Nobz painted:

(click to enlarge)

I'm pretty pleased with how they came out - I was a bit nervous about doing the stripes, but they came out okay.  (I suspect I'll get better at them with practice).  The biggest "duh" moment I had was when I painted the pants Bleached Bone to simulate a linen color, then tried to wash just the crevices & stitches - it left big dark splotches and looked terrible.  Then I realized if I painted the stripes first and applied the wash to the entire legs after, it made the linen look more natural and made the stripes tie in better.  I'm also really happy with the highlighting method I've worked out - originally I was trying to do traditional hardline highlights on the black, and it didn't look very good.  I wound up doing a very light drybrushing of heavily thinned Adeptus Battlegray, and it looks really natural.  I've got four more squads of Nobz to do, and my plan is to give them all different color stripes to distinguish them from each other (and to make it fair for opponents, as some will be elites, and the others will be given their own warboss so they can count as scoring troops)...

1 comment: