Friday, February 11, 2011

Black Templar Complications

...so since I've gathered all the bits for the Black Templars army I bought and I've started stripping paint in earnest, I thought I would sit down and maybe start building a few models.  One problem presented itself, though:  most of the models I bought appear to have come from the Assault on Black Reach box set.  While they're great sculpts and I have no problem with the quality, for the troops & terminators the arms are sculpted as one piece - the shoulder pads aren't separate.  That makes it kinda hard to swap out the shoulder pads for all the custom Black Templar ones I bought.  D'oh!

No worries, though - I had already bought a couple sets of the Black Templar tabard-front torsos from a bitz seller:

I already have plenty of Space Marine torsos & arms in my bitz box, so I went back to my bitz seller and ordered a dozen or so legs, so that should give me the bulk of my Crusader Squads, along with the Scouts I already built.  I can shave the pre-molded icons from some of the Black Reach troops, and replace them with the Templar crosses from the Forge World eteched brass sheet I ordered.  The pricier proposition is turning out to be the Terminators - originally I was going to have quite a few terminators in this army, and I wanted them to all have the custom Templar shoulder pads too - same deal, most of them are Black Reach models and the arms are molded as one piece.  I also wanted a squad of Assault Terminators, so I bought the Thunderhammers, then I bought the Forge World shields... and realized I didn't have any shield arms.  Luckily, Space Wolf shields are way cheaper than the plain ones, and all I need are the upper arms, so I bought a set of those.  Ideally I'd like to get five or six each of the bolter arms & power claw arms, but I'm not having much luck finding them cheap - most bitz sellers sell the entire arms sprue for twenty-five bucks.  I may need to head to beg some friends for parts...

1 comment:

  1. I need to take a look at what you got and try and rescue this army form being too much more of a money sink...

    ReplyDelete