Tuesday, October 5, 2010

All Your Base...

Hey, look what I got:


...a whole mess 'o bases for my Freeboota Ork army!  I decided to use the 30mm bases from Privateer Press - mainly just because I love the look.  Also, since every single model in this army is going to be heavily converted, I'm sure I'm not going to be in the mood to build almost a hundred bases from scratch - I actually considered buying some of the paper-backed wooden balsa strips that scale modelers' use to simulate hardwood floors, then buying a 28mm holesaw, then cutting out & staining all the bases, then clipping a few dozen feet of brass wire to simulate nailheads... then I said "screw it!" and ordered the "Shiver Me Timbers" base inserts from Iron Halo.  I'll take the hit to my "modeler's cred" in order to save a couple weeks worth of work - the inserts are pre-sized to fit the "Dark Age" bases:




...the inserts arrived with remarkably little flash (compared to other resin pieces I've bought) - a quick scrape around the edge with my hobby knife, and maybe every third or fourth one has a spot I need to hit with a file, but I can still churn out a dozen of 'em in fifteen minutes:



I may be getting ahead of myself, but I'm so happy with these that I think I'm gonna have to paint some test color schemes for them in the next day or two...

No comments:

Post a Comment